Wednesday, October 25, 2017

The Disappointment of Flake

Thoughts on Mr. Flake's senate speech:

I watched my Junior Senator give a long speech today, where he lambasted the "Tone" from the top of the government, i.e. Mr. Trump. Specifically he called out the present "coarseness of our national dialogue".

Well I have to agree. I don't like it either. I would much rather have someone with the Class and Eloquence of Mr. Reagan sitting up there. I'd rather have someone with the honesty and integrity of Mr. Carter, though certainly not his horrifically flawed policies or politics. I understand that JFK could be very inspirational. I can't think of a president who sang Amazing Grace better than Mr. Obama...

In the last election I wanted Cruz, or Walker, or Johnson, or even Rubio. I certainly didn't want this guy either. But to somehow pretend that the coarseness in the national dialog is somehow new? That's disingenuous at best, and a bald-faced lie at the worst.

I watched a president on national TV tell American small business owners "You didn't build that". I watched him berate the majority of the country as being bitter people who "Cling to Guns and Religion". I watched his state department hold a press conference and blame the murder of an American Diplomat and his security team on a freaking You-Tube video. I heard the former Speaker of the House state that the only way to find out what was in a bill constituting the largest government power grab since they made it illegal to slice bread was to actually "pass it to find out what's in it" for goodness sake.

Yet somehow the coarseness of our national dialog is somehow new? And somehow it's Mr. Trump's fault? He's certainly continued it, but anyone who thinks this is new has not been Paying Attention.

Frankly I don't care what the orange buffoon tweets. He's not the problem. You are the problem Mr. Flake. You. You and the other 51 senators with an R behind your name.

Because you made promises to the American People. You made promises to your constituents. A lot of promises. You promised smaller government. You promised a repeal of the ACA. Tax Reform. Restoration of Civil Liberties. Gun Rights. Regulatory Reform. Entitlement reform.

I haven't seen a lot of legislation Mr. Flake. In fact, other than one very high profile vote to confirm Justice Gorsuch (thank you by the way), I haven't seen much of anything. So the problem is emphatically not the "tone from the top". The problem appears to be that your promises don't amount to a bucket of warm spit.

Instead of whining and trying to play tone police with the executive, how about you do your Damn JOB. Pass a bill. It doesn't even have to be a big and grandiose one. A single sentence bill repealing the unconstitutional individual mandate. You know, a start, baby-steps. Anything. I'll even write it for you.

Do something for the American People. Forget about the tone from the top or the coarseness of the dialog. That's not important.  It's not important because I guarantee that no matter what the tone from the top, Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer will do everything in their power to prevent us from moving the nation forward. They will do everything possible to cling to "power and the religion of large government" to paraphrase the last guy at the top.

They, and their media lackeys, will move mountains to prevent this president, or your party, from getting a "win" no matter the cost to the American people or constitution.

So here's a idea for you: Man up and do the job we elected you to do.

No comments: