Monday, January 19, 2009

The H&R Model 926 Revolver

Photobucket

Back in December my buddy Scott and I went to what is one of the largest gunshows in the country, the Phoenix December Crossroads of the West/ Small Arms Review West show. That's a total of seven State Fair pavilion halls full of boom sticks and accessories, plus more vendors in the tents between some of the halls. I've never actually managed to see the whole show.

So amongst all of the $450 AR lowers and $1200 AKs there were actually a few neat things. You had to look hard though.

My buddy Scott picked up a High Standard .22 target pistol for $173 (Model B I think). It had been freshly re-parked, which brings it's value down a bit, but certainly a more than fair price.

I picked up a sweet little H&R top break in .38 S&W. Model 926. Bluing is easily 98-99%, still has it's original diamond checkered H&R grips. (Lots of minor scratches all over) Date code places it at 1971. Got it for 2-bills even, (came with a 1/2 box of Remington ammo) Based on prices on Gunbroker and Gunsamerica I got it for a fair to good price.

(It Turns out there was an intermittent problem with the action due to a broken part. I suspect the seller knew this. While it usually worked fine, it sometimes would not cock all the way. A quick perusal of e-gunparts.com, and 2 days later I had it returned to perfect working order)

Now here is what is interesting (to me at least)

This is a quintessentially American revolver. Look at it. It's not the weapon of a a policeman, or a gunfighter; they would favor a swing out cylinder, for speed and capacity. It's certainly not that of a cowboy or drover, they would require a heavy bullet of at least .429 caliber. It's not even really the weapon of a firearms aficionado, after all, the .38 S&W was made obsolete by the .38 Special in 1902. While small enough to conceal, it's certainly not optimized for it.

No this is the weapon of a shopkeep or a grocer. Perhaps that of a workman who kept it at home, just in case. There is almost no holster wear, but there are fine scratches, indicating it was kept in a drawer, or under the counter, ready, in case of need. As I said, quintessentially American.

H&R started business in 1871. Their primary business was what I will call "working class" firearms. No high polish, no fancy engraving, just function. They also made M1 Garands, M14s and M16's for the US military. They finally gave up in the 1980s (in the era of the cheap autoloader) and are now part of the Marlin/NEF/H&R conglomerate.

As you can see, it's functional and straightforward. Five shots, with a manual ejector. Target sights, and magna-type grips are rather nice upgrades. She still shoots ok as well.

Photobucket

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just got a H&R .22 Sportsman 999 off layaway at a local gun shop. It has a 6" barrel, with a 9-shot,top break cylinder. $130.

I just love this pistol. It reminds me so much of the ol'cowboy S&W .44 Russian. Shoots great. I think H&R handguns are underrated little treasures.I hope to pick up a S&W .38 model like yours someday.

Anonymous said...

I have this same handgun that I inherited from my mother who use to carry it while she was a waitress back in the late 70's and early 80's. She never fired it nor did I for the longest time. Only a few years ago I had the opportunity while at a friend's farm to fire this revolver. I was IMPRESSED to say the least. Simple to handle and easy to control not to mention accurate at 50 ft. I can't beleave I've had this gun for over some twenty plus years and never fired it to enjoy the ease and handling of this fine wepon. The only things I don't know is just how old it is (other then the 20 plus year's I've had it) or it's value.