Friday, July 10, 2009

Lock & Load Review




Since I have been on the subject of CDs recently, how about a review?

Leslie Fish has finally released Lock & Load, her album of pro 2nd Amendment songs. It's only been in the works for about 10 years. I managed to pick up a copy at last weekends WesterCon.

First Impressions:
Incredible artwork by non other than the inestimable Oleg Volk.
Good mix of songs. Style ranges from folk, to folk-rock, to an actual barbershop quartet. Nonetheless, Gerry Tyra did a great job of mastering and it all flows together well.

All in all, it's a great album, from the title track Lock & Load to the rather haunting We did it to Ourselves, to the inspiring Flight 93. Leslie plays her 12-string guitar throughout, and has an absolutely amazing number of backing musicians playing electric guitar, flute, harmonica, fiddle, mandolin, mandola, plus a bunch of others I can't think of right now.

Honestly about the only song I don't like is Vigilante. Not due to the content mind you; it's one of my favorite songs. This version is very fastpaced, and not what I'm used to, and I think it does a bit of a disservice to the song. Then again, I've known Leslie for years, so I've heard the song before, and one tends to like what one is used to.

All in all, worth buying.
Get it here

2 comments:

"gunner" said...

a link to "random factors" her record outlet would be nice, so folks can find out what you're talking about, and i agree, leslie is a good musician/performer. i've enjoyed her arrangements of kipling's poetry set to music, and i heartily recommend her.

"gunner" said...

ooops! my apology, i didn't notice the link at the bottom until i had already hit "send". sorry 'bout that. my comments about leslie still stand, go buy the cd, you won't be sorry.