Friday, September 12, 2008

Oral Comprehensive Exams - Results

Well, we finnally got the results back from the physics comprehensive exams. They only took three weeks.

Written = Pass
Oral = FAIL

I'm not surprised really. See my post on being ambushed.

I of course blame the department for their inability to communicate effectively what they expected. Certainly I was not expecting an ambush on topics completely unrelated to my research. Especially when the instructions stated explicitly that the Q/A period was supposed to derive from the research presented.

*sigh*

The next opportunity to take the oral portion of the comps will be this January. Unfortunately this means that I can't get my masters this December, as one of the requirements is that I have passed both the Oral and Written portions of the exam.

Bastards...

No comments: